Saturday, June 4, 2016

Twenty- and thirty-something Mutant Ninja Turtles

WHOOOOOOSH
that was us all traveling back in time to May 14th

We celebrated love.  I went to bed at 8am.  Lauren had to get up and go to work around noon so I woke up too and...sort of...started my day.  Here's the thing - the party was not yet over.

My good pal Ben, celebrated playwright plus pop, nerd, music and visual arts culture savant, had a Birthday on May 16th so he and his friend Katie threw a shared, awesome, themed party on Saturday night.  A friend works in a real cool office space that is a loft in the Gowanus neighbourhood of Brooklyn.  It has a beautiful roof deck, cool view, sofas, sound system and after a couple of desks are moved it has lots of floor space for getting your dance on.  So they had it there.  It was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/90s themed pizza party.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  These guys.  Got it? 
Right.

So my mission for Saturday was to put together a suitably turtley and 1990s ensemble - fishnet tights, Doc Martens and some tin foil, piece of cake.

The party was hopping when I arrived and I enjoyed pizza, beer (not much though...there is a point at which hair of the dog is a bad idea) and some excellent 90s grooves.




We had a dramatic interlude when someone unfortunately became too intoxicated and err...I'm not telling the story just describing the ending: Lauren and I outside, somewhat dishevelled and with a few bumps and bruises, plus about 12 police officers, some paramedics, and Ben Alison and Brandon dressed respectively as Splinter (the giant rat ninja master of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) Hamato Yoshi (Splinter's human master before he mutated into a giant rat) and April O'Neil (the turtles' human ally, a reporter in a yellow jumpsuit).  

Get that picture in your head: We're on the pavement in the aftermath of dramatic incident, facing a group of policemen and paramedics.  I'm dressed like that ^^^
And there are three full grown adults behind us dressed like this




One of the police officers enquired as to the nature of the gathering...
'What kind of party is this?'
To which I replied, quavery voiced, '...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...'

And to Ben:
'What's that around your neck?'
'It's a nose...I'm Splinter...it's my Birthday so we decided to have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles party...'
'...that's pretty cool'

Which honestly made me laugh.

NB the incident wasn't Lauren and I having a fistfight, I swear.  It was sort of a team effort of valiance   and heroism, if anything.

We returned to the party for cake and more dancing, and I rounded out the night in fine style and gave myself the luxury of a taxi home.

And so ends another story, but NOT the end of the weekend of parties...

JACOB had his Birthday party on Sunday night.  He mercifully went for a low key, at home situation with a TV theme.  The place was done up with a DIY Iron Throne, Breaking Bad 'crystal meth', the mugs from Central Perk in Friends, some Buffy references - toothpicks labelled as 'stakes'.  We gossiped, ate pizza and played the traditional Apartment 2C game of Charades.  It was a great, homespun and easy going end to a whirlwind weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment