Sunday, December 27, 2015

2015: the year I

Starting my year's retrospective a little early - Dec 20th - just in case.
Also honestly it's been a killer year, and I don't want to forget anything.

January - actually January was quiet except that I was really, really ill for the first few days of the year! 

February - tap duet at Peridance

March - moved to Brooklyn, one of the best decisions I made all year because I have flourished there
Performed at famed cabaret stage 54 Below, stage underneath what was Studio 54. Whatever. Performed my own choreography no less.

April - Had a visit from Dad, we saw Beautiful: The Carole King Musical on Broadway
Performed in Shakesday with Classics in the Rocks theater co
Turned 25 and celebrated in fine style with friends old and new
Became co-artistic director of Fundamental Theatre Project

May - rehearsed for Merchant of Venice
Got a bike
Tap danced for NBC with Nick Cannon for Red Nose Day
Hung out, in NYC, with my old schoolfriend Lotty Davies

June - Hung out, in NYC, with my even older schoolfriend Katharine Williams
Saw Active Child at Williamsburg Hall of Music
Went to Portland OR

July - performed in Merchant of Venice
Rode my bike a lot

August - had a trip home! Which included a trip to Edinburgh
Em Golborn's wedding
Started running

September - Saw Baeb Rxxth at Cameo Gallery - my friend Devon's band
Went to the Caribbean Day Parade, my friend Chuck's play, watched Lauren sing at Don't Tell Mama cabaret, Bernie Sanders came to New York Town Hall, went to a rollerdisco, met Bobby the black lab pup and saw the lunar eclipse (crikey)

October - by now I'm able to run an easy 5 miles Fundamental Theater Project's first Think Tank in many moons, unofficially run by me
Saw Lissie play at Rough Trade, Mew at Rough Trade and The Growlers at Irving Plaza all in the same weekend
Baeb Rxxth the week after at Rockwood Music Hall
Bought a ticket to see The Cure at Madison Square Garden in March 2016!
Saw Autre Ne Veut live at Bowery Ballroom (October was a really good live music month for me!)

November - Began rehearsals for I Could Never Love Anyone
Sang in Broadway Comes To Bell fundraiser
Saw my friend from Portland, singer songwriter Moorea Masa, perform at Bowery Poetry Club 
Held a free seminar for international actors about immigration and casting
Performed a 15 minute stand-up set (written by me) at The People's Improv Theatre aka The PIT
Celebrated a Friendsgiving in place of Thanksgiving

December - went to my first live team sporting event, became a New York Islanders hockey fan
Went back to ballet classes

Which brings us up to date with right now.  Of course a lot more things happened - I went to auditions that I'm proud of, took part in play readings and workshops, did a lot of writing of songs and bits of stories/plays, choreographed a lot of tap, spent time with friends, saw Dan and The Fine Machines perform multiple times, gained some new very important friendships and deepened some old ones, discovered new and wonderful things to eat and drink, read some fantastic books (This Is How You Lose Her, The Only Words Worth Remembering and Love In The Time Of Cholera are my standouts), read a lot of plays, saw Natalia in two different plays, gone to fun parties, been proud of my friends, made some great salads, made new doggy pals, grown as an artist, grown as a human bean.

And it's not even the end of the year yet! But I'm glad I've done this review now, overall it's been sort of a banner year for me and it's worth remembering this stuff.  



No comments:

Post a Comment