Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Rolling Stone gathers a lot of debate

Rolling Stone magazine recently published a list of the 100 greatest songwriters ever. Like their list '100 Greatest Performers Ever' it is a divisive issue.
I went through the songwriter list with roommate Dan who's opinion I hold in high regard especially since he is himself an excellent songwriter.
There were things that made me glad (Joni Mitchell, listed in the 70s for performers but top 10 in songwriters) and things that made me confused (Taylor Swift is on this list but Linda Perry isn't? Nor Lauryn Hill? Hmm) and we spent a good hour combing through making our adjustments. It was a lot fun but ultimately unsatisfying because there are really a lot of great songwriters and how do we quantify such a thing? Also they said 'of all time'...in which case the ommission of Bach, Gershwin and others seems like a glaring oversight.
Number 1 was Bob Dylan. I disagree. Numbers 2 and 3 were McCartney and Lennon. Which is a cop out, I reckon. 
Anyway. I have been inspired to make my own list. I'm not sure what scale it will be on yet or if I'm putting a time period on it but the category is band names. Under that I will include solo musical artists not using their own name. I am staying in the pop/rock/blues/hip hop zone (so Jelly Roll Morton does not qualify for this particular list). Basically best band names that come from Tessa's life not from weeks of scouring the music world for band names I don't know yet but might like.  I'm including rappers and electro music artists. I'm doing it off the top of my head. Also it's in no particular order. The only stipulation I've given myself is to avoid to many 'The ........' names because there are just so many...so some groups will miss out because I have too many The already. Without further ado:

Dire Straits
Radiohead
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Daft Punk
Massive Attack
Echo and the Bunnymen
Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
The Clash
No Doubt
Active Child
Joy Division
Manic Street Preachers
The Drifters
Sonic Youth
The Who
Eminem
Nirvana
Tears for Fears
Electric Youth
Lupe Fiasco
Stereophonics
The Roots
Queens of the Stone Age
The Pretenders
The Strokes
The Very Best
Animal Collective
Muddy Waters
Howlin Wolf
*pause to go home*

Will continue adding to this list and solicit contributions from my music minded pals. Tbc

The Mars Volta
The Libertines
The Raconteurs
Goo Goo Dolls
Super Furry Animals
Violent Femmes
Garbage
Rage Against The Machine
The Commodores
The Libertines
The Raconteurs
The Stone Roses
The Killers
Nosaj Thing

Too many 'The' bands, need to find some more alternative names!

No comments:

Post a Comment