Sunday, December 22, 2013

Buttons: Out

So ends my run as Buttons.  It has been a royal blast, with such fun cast mates and such enthusiastic audiences.  I'd say Queens NY is definitely ready for more pantos in the future.  My favourite moments include bringing my dear Lauren Downie onto the stage to act as the clock that strikes midnight and she rose to the occasion with gusto; a small boy today who was so good at audience participation that he managed to steal some money from the wicked stepsisters; hearing Anel laugh loudly when I meet the Fairy Godmother for the first time and comment how amazing it is that I never thought I had family and one of them turns out to be a fairy (I had been waiting for someone to be in the audience that would get the significance of that); our amazing lighting designer who at literally the final hour - one hour before dress rehearsal preview - stepped in as a stepsister because we lost one at the last minute; the inconsistency of the smoke machine and its comedy value and the lovely time we spent between shows yesterday at the Long Island City Christmas flea market eating far too much and swapping stories (and learning about dating apps from Kate, our fantastic wicked stepmother).  Absolutely wonderful.

Other things - Lola is in Mexico, sad for me but happy for her cos she gets to spend time with her gorgeous nephew Hector.  Likewise Lauren in Scotland.  Jacob just left for Texas today, Maite and Anel to Spain/Mexico respectively tomorrow.  And so on and so on until only the English remain - that's me, Sam, Sam's friend Jamie, sister Hayley, mum Angela and stepdad Kevin.  Got a call from Angie earlier, the ladies are planning wonders for this Christmas day, v. excited.

I personally have been prepping for my own couple of weeks off by...big surprise...cooking!
Tonight:
Leek and potato bake
Salad of lettuce, red cabbage, flax seeds, cranberries, apples, carrots and honey lime dressing...a LOT of salad in fact
Gingery stewed apples
Two and a half jars of homemade tomato sauce which is SCRUMPTIOUS I love it

I need to go to the wine shop so I can make lentil kale soup (I discovered recently that red wine turns this from virtuous health food to indulgent winter warmer) and bechamel sauce...and, y'know, have some wine...which I will mull, obviously.

Officially on break tomorrow with the end of panto, school's out and the Evens in the Bahamas so no babysitting (I miss the boys!) aaand while I do have cleaning and decorating to do, I also will probably stay a-pyjamad as long as possible...I wonder if Maite and Anel will mind me showing up at Peacefood Cafe decked out in Hello Kitty?

Probably not
And that's why they are my friends!

Festive thoughts and love to allxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment