Monday, February 18, 2013

Surround yourself with the greatest people and thrive

After a couple of bleugh days, as usual, everything is looking rosy again.  I have spectacularly lost my voice...I mean, it is gone, yesterday I had a sore throat and could only access my lower range, giving me husky blues voice which is kind of fun for a while but then this morning...nada.  Luckily I have had a mini whiteboard since first semester so I am utilising it now.  Turns out some people are better lip-readers than others - shout out to my good friend Joya Richmond who came over earlier on and was able to translate for everyone from a distance.  Also she can read my handwriting upside down.
So, voice gone - kind of an obstacle, yes.  I am maintaining radio silence until Thursday when there is an audition for something that I very much want to go to, and I'll see how things are on that day.

'Tessa, Hope your throat gets better soon, Love you, from your lovely roommate Sen' found on my bed attached to a big of Ricola, Cold-Eeze lozenges and chocolate
With roommates like this it's perfectly reasonable to expect good things.


The weekend turned unexpectedly fun - impromptu outing with Anel to meet some non-AMDA friends at a bar downtown, a lot of 80s dancing, the tail end of a party.  And a Sunday in which I scored free Insomnia Cookies (Insomnia is a wonderful and dangerous invention...they deliver cookies until 3am) using my feminine wiles, nyaahaha

I also taught a class on Sunday.  Well it would have been a class but turned into a private lesson because ALL MY PEOPLE CANCELLED
Please people, be clear about whether or not you are attending, and if you are bailing give me more than one evening's notice - I know everyone's crazy busy, I know.  But I'm answering to other people, I am technically employed by the Fundamental Theatre Project to teach so when they ask me for a head count, I give one and then noone shows up it sucks to be me.  And them.  Please please!

But kudos to Staci Jo cos I gave her two combos at high speed that aren't that easy - when you're the only person, all the pressure is on you.  Work.

News tidbits -


  • Today all the new 4th semesters began, including my sisters from another mista Anel and Maite.  I pray for them, and I am essited to see their showcases!
  • Extreme cooking should be a sport and me, Lola and Sena should be contestants, we pack three of us in at a time cooking three different cuisines and our kitchen is not big
  • Jacob brought a flower home for each of his roommates last night
  • In our apartment it never rains but it pours - either noone comes over or everyone does.  I am so ok with that - having visitors show up unexpectedly whilst I am being domestic in the kitchen makes me feel a bit like it's the 50s (also Chris upstairs came last week to borrow a cup of milk.  Unbridled joy!)
  • Coconut oil is really tasty - I should not eat it from the jar with a spoon but I do.  The other Lola in my life, Lola Kennedy (centre) is a bit of a healing maven and good with things like this - she told me about adding apple cider vinegar to honey and lemon for extra anti-bacterial and cleansing properties and now she told me about oil pulling for a bad throat.  As somone who believes thoroughly in the power of natural things to heal, this kind of advice is right up my street  - Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita, where it is called Kavala Gandoosha or Kavala Graha. Ayurvedic literature describes oil pulling as capable of both improving oral health and treating systemic diseases such as diabetes mellitus or asthma.[1] While scientific evidence is lacking to support any systemic benefits of oil pulling, some studies have suggested that it may reduce oral plaque, halitosis, and gingivitis

    And that's Teresa on the right.  She is a registered nurse...so between these two, plus Sena and her Chinese medicine knowledge, and Charles downstairs with his tai chi and massage skills - I'm golden!

    • I am auditioning for an Israeli tap company based in Brooklyn on Sunday and couldn't be more excited.  Whether I get it or not, I'm sure to meet some good people
     Soon I hope to get some apartment pictures going and extrapolate on our creative ways of living on the cheap cos if I say so myself I'm bloody good at it.  And we have a set of drawers that came from the street.  Don't worry, we disinfected the crap out of them.  And I built a storage unit out of cardboard boxes.  You'll see - it's all quite something!

    For now, 2C residents are watching Family Guy and enjoying peace.  So,

    Peace
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment